Skip to main content

Cream of Asparagus Soup

Cream of Asparagus Soup

The process of selecting the soup to be made at the weekend usually involves my making a unilateral decision on a Friday evening or a Saturday morning. On one occasion I decided on garlic broth because I had a lot of garlic in the fridge (see blog of 4th March) and last weekend I chose the chilled avocado and rocket soup because of the glorious weather. This week was unusual in that I let the spouse have the final say. I checked the inside cover of The Soup Book to see what vegetables are in season in June and asparagus caught my eye. I love asparagus, usually served with buttery Hollandaise sauce (the spouse's is pretty good). There are two recipes for asparagus soup in The Soup Book - cream of asparagus and asparagus and morel. The spouse said he lost interest at the mention of morels (did he think I was saying morals?), so cream of asparagus it was for today. The other ingredients include milk, nutmeg, egg yolks and cream; chopped parsley is the garnish.

Well, I've cooked the soup and three of us have had it for lunch (the older offspring is away on holiday). There was a lot of work involved in the preparation of this soup: trimming and peeling the asparagus, using the trimmings and peelings to make an asparagus stock, cooking the trimmed and chopped asparagus, reserving liquids, making a roux, and adding cream and egg yolks. At one point I was to add enough milk from the 300ml indicated in the ingredients list to the asparagus liquid to make up a litre, but I had barely 500ml of asparagus liquid. The final soup was, to my taste, rather bland and not worth the effort involved. That said, the spouse liked it and even the younger offspring thought it was all right. The note at the top of the recipe page suggests that fans of pureed soups could whizz the mixture in a blender at the end of cooking, before sieving and reheating it. This might make it a more flavoursome soup - if I ever make it again.

Bees and the Buzz

Each week I am surprised about how I come across references to bees and honey. My book group is reading Bill Bryson's book (there you are - three B's already!) At Home - A Short History of Private Life and during the week I came across this on page 191:

"The Americas, it may be said, gained much from Europe in return. Before the Europeans stormed into their lives, people in Central America had only five domesticated creatures - the turkey, duck, dog, bee and cochineal insect - and no dairy products."

Then on page 215 he refers to a type of building stone as the "honeyed blocks of Bath". There was also a mention of beeswax but I can't find the page now!

Earlier today I was listening to Miriam Meets ... on RTE Radio 1 and heard the poet John Montgomery quote a line about bees from a poem by William Wordsworth. I thought he said "the bees bummed" and I then had to use that fragment to track down the poem. Thanks to the internet, I can now quote correctly from Wordsworth's "The Female Vagrant" (published in 1798, in Lyrical Ballads). The speaker is recalling her father:

The staff I yet remember which upbore
/The bending body of my active sire;
/His seat beneath the honeyed sycamore
/When the bees hummed, and the chair by winter fire; ...


Finally, my colleague "Scarlett" (not her real name), whose birthday we were celebrating the night we had dinner with/in the vicinity of Dionne Warwick, Samuel L Jackson, etc (see blog of 13th February), pointed out an article in last Friday's Irish Times entitled There's a Buzz on the street for Joe and time to think of Heaven. The writer Michael Harding mentions a man called Buzz Nally who is a Joe Dolan impersonator but the piece is mainly about Grave Sunday and the Blessing of the Graves. Harding writes:

"Graveyards are lovely places, because people manicure them each year as Grave Sunday approaches. Strimmers and clippers buzz like bees, and there's a smell of freshly cut grass, as people get down on all fours ..."

While I was never exactly a fan of Joe Dolan's (I had nothing against him), I do have history with him! I met him twice, once in Bundoran, Co Donegal, in 2003 and then again in Tullamore in 2006. He was very charming on both occasions. When looking to buy a house in this suburb of Dublin, the first one the spouse and I viewed was originally owned by Joe. There are a few more connections of this sort, but I'll leave you to wonder!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave