Skip to main content

Soupe de Poissons

Soupe de Poissons
This morning I opened The Soup Book and decided to make soupe de poissons by Marie-Pierre Moine. It contains onions, leeks, mixed fish and seafood, dried fennel stalk, tomatoes, garlic (lots of it), flat-leaf parsley, bay leaves, dried orange peel, tomato puree and saffron.  The suggested accompaniment is croutes rubbed with garlic and spread with rouille (a spicy garlic sauce) or topped with Gruyere cheese. 

Getting the ingredients together required some effort. I cheated by using frozen prawns from the freezer, fresh fennel, fresh orange peel and curly-leaf parsley (from the garden - the slugs haven't eaten it all!).  The spouse had told me about a new fish shop on Upper Rathmines Rd and I was intending to go there on my way home from town this afternoon, but on my way into town I spotted a fish shop near Portobello Bridge. There and then, while sitting near - but not in - my favourite seats on the bus I resolved to call in on the way home.  So when carrying out this mission I had to communicate with a young man for whom English was not the first language.  I had to get him to understand that I wanted a mixture of different fish and he had to identify them for me. Salmon I recognised, but not the haddock and another white fish which he said was called "pangas." More about this fish later.  Anyway, just over a kilogram of fish cost over Eu18 (fish is not a cheap option).

When the soup is ready you leave it to cool for a while, "stirring and mashing down the soft fish pieces with the back of a large wooden spoon", and remove the fennel, orange peel and bay leaves. You can then puree it in a blender or push it through a chinois (a conical sieve) or a fine sieve. I checked with the family if that's what they wanted or would they prefer lumps of fish in the soup. The majority wanted lumps of fish, but the spouse ended up whizzing the younger offspring's portion with a hand-held blender. I prepared croutes and rouille and we tucked in. It was very tasty, but I think I would puree it next time.  There's some left over but it can't be frozen. 

Problems with pangasius

Pangas, or pangasius as it seems to be better known, is mainly farmed in Vietnam and the rapid growth in pangasius aquaculture has given rise to a number of environmental and social concerns. The World Wildlife Fund categorises these concerns as legal, land and water use, water pollution and waste management, genetics and biodiversity, feed management, health management and social responsibility.  

Back to the bees

The last week has been really buzzing with bee references! On Wednesday evening I turned on the radio in my bedroom and heard Ross McDonnell talking about his film Colony, which is being shown at the Irish Film Institute (IFI) this weekend (more precisely, from the 23rd to the 29th July). The next day I tuned in and heard a reference to the World Cup in South Africa and the buzzing of the vuvuzelas. Yesterday evening the spouse and I were watching Gardeners' World (we haven't had access to BBC2 for months!) and there was an item on bee boxes (more on this later). Then this morning when checking my e-mail I came upon my first alert from the County Dublin Beekeepers' Association, which was about Colony at the IFI!!! (By the way, this year's Dublin Honey Show takes place on Saturday 6th November at Christ Church Hall, Rathgar). 

Bee boxes 

I am very interested in making bee boxes or else getting the older males in my family to make them for me.  Last night's feature on Gardeners' World showed bamboo canes as one of the main materials required and I am accumulating bamboo canes in my back garden as I prune the plants outside my kitchen window. The canes are turning that familiar honey colour just now.  Below are some links to bee box instructions: 
I like the idea of having a few bee boxes in my garden and maybe doing some guerilla gardening or guerilla bee keeping by placing bee boxes in suitable locations! The spouse has warned me not to put one in his car. 

Bee list celebrities 

I just remembered today that a few years ago I saw Boris Becker on South Anne Street in Dublin. Appropriate initials for this blog! Another famous bee or B I saw in the city centre was Bjorn Ulvaeus of Abba. I got his autograph - he wrote it on a birthday card for my sister, even wishing her a happy birthday! What a "Honey, Honey"! Sorry, I know it's not that funny but I couldn't resist.

The last laugh goes to MH who e-mailed me during the week to tell me she'd seen "a large, old fashioned bumble bee" in her garden. I quipped: "How do you know it was old fashioned? Was it wearing a bonnet?" She replied: "Bee serious, Minnie.  I will going to France soon. A bee-an-tot!" Well, it made me smile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave