Skip to main content

Broad Bean and Mint Soup

Broad bean and mint soup

Today's soup making process was not an unqualified success but I learned from it.  I chose to make broad bean and mint soup and yesterday the spouse duly tracked down and bought the broad bean pods as instructed.  I got out two pints of home made chicken stock to defrost, noting that the supplies were running low. This morning the spouse brought the younger offspring out for a walk in Dun Laoghaire and I got up after Sunday Miscellany to start on the soup preparations. My mistake was to interpret the the instructions to mean that I was to use the pods, not the beans themselves. The recipe (one of Sophie Grigson's) says: "...Skin each bean by slitting the tough outer skin with a fingernail or a small sharp knife ..." For some reason I pictured runner beans and the way you have to remove the "thread" from them. So, having blanched the pods, I pushed out the beans, discarded them and prepared the pods for cooking. I then prepared onions and celery before going back to bed to phone my sister. Incidentally, her broad beans are just ready for cutting. 

At about midday I came back downstairs to start getting the soup ready for lunch.  The spouse - now back from the walk - said something which made me realise that I was using the wrong part of the broad beans. By this time I had the onions and celery sweating in a sauce pan, so I decided quickly to rescue the discarded beans and skin them. When I weighed them, I saw I had only a quarter of the required amount. This meant I would need to reduce the amount of stock and other ingredients (namely, Greek yoghurt and mint) and not keep some of the beans in reserve for chopping and adding just before serving. I added a lot of thyme just in case the soup needed more flavour. In the end, we had about half a bowl of soup each and it was very tasty. 

Broad beans are funny creatures - I quite like them but only in small quantities. I will try this soup again. That said, the second broad bean soup in The Soup Book looks interesting. Baby broad bean soup contains onions, leeks, garlic, chives, potatoes and radish leaves, and is served with croutons. 

P.S. I saved the broad bean pods and used them when making a fresh batch of stock after lunch. 

Bee brief 

  • A few items of interest. Last Sunday morning (25th July), the first item on Sunday Miscellany was a poem entitled Summer of Bees. From what I can remember about it one week later, it was about trying to eat ice cream while being pestered by bees, then not accepting a defence of bees. I think the author was mistaking bees for wasps in this instance.
  • That afternoon the spouse, the younger offspring and I went to see the film Colony at the Irish Film Institute. It is a beautifully photographed film, telling the story of the decline in the number of bees in the USA and the implications for the business side of bee keeping. The main possible causes of the decline were outlined, but the viewer was left to decide for herself. 
  • On Thursday the spouse spotted an illustration called Bee Box in the window of a shop in Ranelagh. 
  • Arrangements are in train for attending the course on getting bees ready for winter down in Scariff. The older offspring has agreed to give me a hand with making bee boxes.
  • Earlier today I finished reading Solar by Ian McEwan. It's not about bees, but it does mention beeswax twice and the protagonist's partner is called Melissa, a name from the Greek for honey bee. 
  • I have made chocolate mousse for our pudding this evening. The accompaniment is yoghurt with honey and vanilla seeds mixed in.
  • Einstein once remarked that "if bees were to disappear, man would only have a  few years to live." Should we be really worried about the death of bees? This is a story the spouse found a link to.

 That's it for this week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave