Skip to main content

Roast Potato Soup

Roast Potato Soup 

Today's soup - selected this morning before the spouse went shopping - is roast potato. The weather has been lovely just lately and today promised more of the same. Suddenly, at around 8 o'clock, thunder rolled and then the rain fell, stopping again shortly afterwards. But back to the potatoes. This soup contains floury potatoes, which are roasted separately, before putting into a pan with shallots, garlic, parsnip and vegetable stock (prepared by the spouse recently). I am not a fan of parsnips, but hoped that the yet to be added cream, bacon and onions would help to disguise the taste.
The bacon and onions are fried separately and served as a topping. This week I was the only one not too keen on the soup. The younger offspring joined his father and brother in voting it a good soup. All three would like to have it again.

The older offspring asked about having a beef soup - he missed the Hungarian goulash back in June - so I checked the index of The Soup Book to see what's on offer.  The list includes beef and green bean, beef chilli, Mexican chilli bean, oxtail and pot au feu. What caught our attention was the lavishly titled Italian wedding soup, so that's what I'll be making soon.

Another Location, Another Soup 

This morning the younger offspring and I accompanied the spouse to Mullingar, Co Westmeath, where he would be working for an hour or so. While he hobnobbed with a couple of minor celebrities (he doesn't meet the A-listers. That's my department), the younger offspring and I drove on through the town, passing the statue of Joe Dolan on our way, and travelled on to Belvedere House. We had a quick lunch in the Courtyard Cafe. I opted for the homemade vegetable soup, which was definitely homemade. 

Despite the rain, Belvedere House and its gardens were well worth the trip. I took some photos of bees in the Victorian walled garden, but the camera is not well suited to that particular job.






Bee Buzz 

Last week I came across the following news items:
 The spouse sent me these links:


Sowing the Seeds of Doubt

In my last blog (28th August) I reported that someone from Irish Seed Savers had phoned to ask me to consider attending a different beekeeping course. I didn't want to change my arrangements, so declined the offer. During the week I received an e-mail message saying that only two other people were booked into the Getting the bees ready for winter course and that they (Irish Seed Savers) would let me know if they would have to cancel the course. Oh no! Fingers and bees' knees crossed, everyone.
Anyway, here's a link to a story about Irish Seed Savers that appeared in the Irish Times last Saturday.  Saving seeds of the future from threats of the present.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave