Skip to main content

Oxtail Soup

Oxtail Soup 

At long last I have made the oxtail soup I pledged to make last month! The ingredients are relatively straight forward - oxtail (obviously), onion, carrots, celery, tomatoes (out of a can), parsley, a bay leaf, fresh thyme, flour, butter and dry sherry - but it required some effort to track down oxtails and the soup takes a long time to prepare. You need  to simmer the tails and onion for four hours, then add the other vegetables and herbs before simmering for a further thirty minutes. Eventually the stock is strained and chilled for at least an hour before finishing. Just as well I started cooking before midday in time to have it ready for the evening meal. 

After four hours of simmering (during which time I prepared apple dumplings), I removed the herbs and meat. The meat is taken off the bones and then blended with the vegetables. I used the liquidiser part of my food processor and by the time I'd finished, smoke was rising from that hard-working machine. The final stage of cooking requires a large frying pan, in which you heat the flour, add the butter, then the stock and liquidised meat and vegetable mixture. When these are mixed and heated through, you at last add the dry sherry.


The oxtail after four hours of simmering.
The strained onion, carrots, celery and tomatoes



The liquidised meat and vegetable mix


So we were ready to go. The older offspring was out dining with his rugby team, so missed out on a really good soup with a rich fruity texture. Definitely a soup to warm the cockles of the spouse's and younger offspring's hearts (they had been out in the cold watching the rugby match). The sherry was a good foil to the inherent sweetness of the tomatoes and carrots. The younger offspring, who is to food in this house what Simon Cowell is to The X Factor, pronounced the oxtail soup to be "epic." Enough said.

Apple dumplings and other country fare

Writing this blog over the last eleven months has prompted me to consider what I cook more attentively. It has also caused me to look over the various cookery books the spouse and I have accumulated in almost thirty years (scary thought).  One of our longest retained treasures (we have culled a few occasionally) is Doreen Fulleylove's Country Fare, which was first published in 1970 by Hamlyn.  We bought it in 1982.  The recipes listed within its now yellowing pages include Chipstead churdles, Shropshire fitchett pie, Welsh rarebit, Sussex pond pudding, eggs Victoriana, hopel popel, pan haggerty, pears tansy, poacher's roll, poor knights of Windsor and treacle posset. I have, of course, picked out only the more extraordinary titles, which give very few clues - if any - about their ingredients.

The only recipe I can remember using from this book before now is the one for golden honey cake. For pudding to follow the oxtail soup I decided to make Doreen's apple dumplings. They weren't pretty, but the pastry was nice and light and tasty. Michel le Roux Jr would not be impressed by my presentation.
Apple dumplings ready to go into the oven.


Which reminds me: the spouse was avidly following this year's Master Chef - The Professionals. Great viewing but check out this spoof version of the final.

What's the buzz? 

Not too much buzz about bees and honey this last week, but I did come across a reference to Mileeven honey on televison. Take a look at the Mileeven website

Also, I am reading Room by Emma Donoghue which was shortlisted for this year's Man Booker Prize. It's a story told from the perspective of a little boy (Jack) who was born and raised by his mother in a back garden shed. On page 176, this exchange takes place between Jack, his mother and a nurse following their escape from the shed.



The baked apple dumplings.
A big person rushes up the steps quick like she's flying, but she's not, she's a real human all in white. I put my face on Ma's robe to be not seen. "Oh," says the she, "you should have buzzed --"
Like bees? 
"The buzzer right by your bed?" 
"We managed," Ma tells her. 

I haven't reached the end of it yet, but I'm really enjoying it. Next on my reading list is Jonathan Franzen's Freedom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave