Skip to main content

Redoubling My Efforts

As I have been away for the last two weekends I thought I had better make up for lost time this weekend. I've made two quite different soups, which was a huge undertaking as I am still jet-lagged and bleary-eyed! In case you're wondering, I was in Japan.

Chicken Soup with Pasta

The recipe for chicken soup with pasta (my forty-fifth soup outing) calls for chicken drumsticks, a mix of chopped vegetables (I used carrots, broccoli, green beans and leeks) and soup vermicelli. I wasn't sure what soup vermicelli was as opposed to ordinary vermicelli, which is what I eventually used.

We had it for dinner last night (Saturday 5th February). The younger offspring, who is also still jet-lagged, was almost falling asleep while eating his. Neither the spouse nor I found this particular soup appetising, but we did feel it was healthy because of all the vegetables. The older offspring enjoyed it - he's very sporty and is quite careful about his diet. Except for when I bake. Or when there is chocolate in the house.

Cauliflower Soup with Toasted Coriander

This cauliflower soup recipe is another contribution to The Soup Book by Roopa Gulati. Among the ingredients are coriander seeds, onion, potato, cauliflower, vegetable stock, a bay leaf, streaky bacon, milk and cream. The coriander seeds are "roasted" in a frying pan for one minute then ground to a coarse powder. The smell was fantastic. Another delicious smell arose from the grilled bacon rashers.

The almost finished soup is liquidised before the final ingredients are added. We sat down to our lunch and I left the spouse and offspring to add their own chopped bacon (vegetarians can substitute croutons and Parmesan cheese). Despite the presence of coriander, the soup could have been bland but the bacon saved it. The spouse and I also tried a second portion with Parmesan sprinkled on top - another way of preventing the soup from disappearing on the tongue.

What's the Buzz?

While I was away I read "The Whole Day Through" by Patrick Gale. I have enjoyed reading Gale's novels since I first read "The Aerodynamics of Pork" in the 1980s. I like his quirkly characters and the romantic aspects. Anyway, his bee-related references in "The Whole Day Through" are as follows:
  • A description of Laura (one of the main characters): "How could he ever have thought she was funny-looking? With her honey-brown limbs and long neck she was lovely to him now, ..."
  • A description of Laura's mother's garden: "The sun had been shining all day so their little oasis was rich with the scents of sunbaked lavender and sweet peas. Bees were becoming noisily drunk in two great potted stands of candidum lilies that framed the sitting area."
  • A description of a gathering storm: "The weather had changed in their hour in the cathedral. Clouds had rolled in and the air, so honeyed earlier, had become prickly and oppressive." 
On the day we were travelling to Tokyo there was an article in The Guardian magazine about the plant Helleborus foetidus. The plant is described as providing "a rare nectar source" for bees in late winter and early spring.

On the flight home, while leafing through the in-flight magazine I saw an advertisement for a bee pendant in silver by Alex Monroe. It looked quite pretty but I'm not sure I could wear it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave