Skip to main content

Vietnamese Noodle Soup

Vietnamese Noodle Soup 

It's only two weeks since I last made a soup using one of Angela Nilsen's recipes and I'm not sure what it was that attracted me to this particular one. It's in the winter vegetables section of The Soup Book, even though chicken breasts are listed among the ingredients. The other ingredients include chicken stock (I have an ample supply in the freezer), root ginger, coriander seeds, star anise, lemongrass, rice noodles, pak choi, Thai fish sauce, bean sprouts, coriander, mint leaves, spring onions, red chilli and lime wedges.

Having checked what the spouse would need to buy for the soup, I left the book lying open on the kitchen table and headed out on a couple of errands. It was a beautifully sunny morning and I enjoyed my walk around this little part of Dublin. On returning home I found the older offspring had left a note by the book. He'd written "ALL ABOUT THIS PHO!" When he appeared in the kitchen he explained that he had eaten and ejoyed pho in the far east.  He seemed very excited at the prospect of pho at home!

The first stage of soup making involved simmering the ginger, coriander seeds, star anise and lemongrass in the chicken stock. The aroma! Mmmm! The star anise was probably the dominant fragrance. Pak choi is not a vegetable that I have cooked often, so I had to look up which parts of it are used in cooking. I haven't cooked rice noodles before. The Soup Book recipe states that they should be soaked, but there were no soaking instructions on the packet.

As I was cooking the soup I listened to Pink Floyd's album Dark Side of the Moon, a favourite from my youth. Occasionally I found myself listening to the roars and yells of the spouse and the younger offspring as they watched a rugby match on the television - Ireland versus England (Ireland won at home - 24-8). Then all of sudden the soup was ready. I dished up for the spouse, younger offspring and myself and we tucked in just as the match ended and the ruck between the ageing Irish commentators began. We all enjoyed the soup. The spouse liked the contrast between the cooked ingredients and those that had been added just before serving.

Eventually, the older offspring arrived home and was all business about having his pho. Not for him the dainty arrangement of the rice noodles in the bowl, scattered with beansprouts before adding the hot soup. No. Throw the noodles in the pot, heat it all up and devour. 

Food and cooking are important in this house.We had a lovely feast on St Patrick's Day. My mother-in-law and a few friends joined us for a late Irish-themed lunch: smoked salmon on brown bread to start, followed by a rich steak stew with Guinness, then Irish cheeses. I also baked a frangipane tart. Strictly speaking, it's not Irish but I used Irish raspberry jam.

Bee (on) Time

The spouse sent me a link to an on-line cartoon strip during the week. I'm not sure how funny it is but it features a bee.

My own find was in the book I am currently reading: Simon Winder's Germania: A Personal History of Germans Ancient and Modern. He mentions mead and mead-halls, reminding me that the spouse and I once made mead many years ago during our country wine phase.

In his description of the town of Koenigswinter Winder refers to a mead-hall and a nearby stall 
"selling honey from oddly ornamented hives, one having a carved and painted cartoon of [a former U.S. president's] face covering its entrance so that the bees fly in and out of his mouth ... [In a nearby reptile zoo] a Louisiana alligator of appalling size and blankness ... lay almost submerged, with the enjoyable result that the innumerable bumps and dents in its back armour created natural drinking pools for the bees from the nearby [anti-presidential] hives. Every now and then the alligator would sink a little further in the water and the bees would spring up into the air and hover, waiting for the pools to re-emerge." (Pages 30-1)

What a strange place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave