Skip to main content

Mouclade

Mouclade 

I hadn't heard of mouclade until I read The Soup Book. I love mussels and was looking forward to trying out this recipe. In her introduction, Marie-Pierre Moine describes mouclade as an "aromatic soup ... from France's Atlantic coast." The ingredients include fresh mussels (bought from the spouse's favourite fishmonger), butter, banana shallot, dry white wine, sprigs of parsley, fennel bulb, a bay leaf, cayenne, an egg yolk, soured cream or creme fraiche (we went for the latter), garlic, paprika or curry powder and saffron. You also need bread to soak up the broth. The spouse was horrified at the thought of polluting our store cupboard with curry powder, but bought some any way. In the end I used paprika, so sorry, spouse.

Minnie's mouclade
The spouse very kindly sorted out the mussels for me (scrubbing and debearding) so that I could murder them with minimal hassle. This I did by bringing them to the boil in a sauté pan with some butter, shallot, wine, water, parsley, fennel, the bay leaf and cayenne. The next step was to put the mussels into a bowl and strain the remaining liquor. Then I mixed the egg yolk and creme fraiche together, and went on to mash garlic, paprika and saffron into the remaining butter. This butter mixture was heated and the mussel liquor added to it. I had to spoon some of this into the egg and creme fraiche, whisk this new mixture together, and then tip it back into the butter and mussel liquor for more whisking and heating. I had forgotten to turn on the oven to heat the bowls, but had to serve up anyway as I didn't want the cooked mussels to dry up and the younger offspring was hungry. I divided the mussels between the three bowls, then poured over the soup mixture. We sat down to eat and were delighted. This is definitely on the list of soups to make again.


Book Buzz

Since my last blog entry, I have sped through P D James' Death Comes to Pemberley. I have been a fan of James' novels since my teens. I first heard of her from my English teacher, who included James in her list of recommended writers. Despite occasional book culls, I cannot bear to part with anything from my James collection. One of the early novels is missing: did I lend it to someone? Did I mislay it? I'll just have to replace it.  Back to Pemberley. It is set in Mr Darcy's grand home, six years after his marriage to Elizabeth Bennet. Mr Bingley refers to Pemberley's "white soup." My curiosity aroused, I discovered from the Austen Only site that it is not a fictional soup, and would have required a lot of hard work to prepare sufficient quantities for a ball.

Elsewhere in Death Comes to Pemberley, there is a reference to beeswax candles:

Now [Darcy lit the candles] and as the taper found each candle-tip the room brightened, suffusing the watching faces with a warm glow and softening even Hardcastle's strong bony features into gentleness, while each trail of smoke rose like incense, its transitory sweetness lost in the smell of beeswax. 
And later on in the novel there is a mention of "consommés prepared with the best beef and laced with sherry" among a list of foods prepared to tempt the appetite of a dying man. 

So there you have it for this week.


Minnie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave