Skip to main content

Chomping on the Savoy: So Not a Joy!

French Cabbage Soup

This weekend's foray into soup-making involved Savoy cabbage, onion, garlic and lardons (I used ordinary rashers). When I was out at the supermarket I spotted pre-chopped cabbage, which I eventually bought when I couldn't find a whole head. Incidentally, after my long search last weekend for turnips, what did they have this week in the supermarket? Only white turnips!!! I thought I'd buy them for the remaining turnip soup recipe in The Soup Book (turnip soup with pimento, chilli and noodles). Could I get my phone to work so that I could ring the spouse at home and get him to check the ingredients? No, of course not. It was one of those mornings: I thought I'd lost my house keys and went into every shop looking for them, only to find them at the bottom of an empty shopping bag when I got home. It's all sorted now. Deep breath.

Anyway, I started to cook yesterday evening at about 5.30pm. The pre-chopped cabbage saved a lot of time, so all I had to do was peel the onion and garlic, and chop or slice as required. I got out the bigger dekshee and heated up the oil before frying the chopped bacon, onion and garlic. Into this was added the cabbage (I reserved a little of it for the finishing steps), lightly sprinkled with sea salt and more generously seasoned with pepper. Having covered the bacon and vegetables with boiling water, I dropped in some parsley and left the lot to simmer for twenty minutes. During this time I fried some remaining bacon and the leftover cabbage. At this point the soup looked liked plain cabbage rather than soup. I dished it up and topped with the the fried cabbage and bacon mix: cabbage and bacon with extra cabbage and bacon on top. The three of us sat down to eat. The spouse was the most impressed. Marie-Pierre Moine advises that vegetarians should omit the lardons, but then you'd be left with a bowl of a cabbage. If I were to make this soup again, I would buy a whole head of cabbage and shred it more finely. If.

Bee Brief

Bumble bee knot by the spouse
The spouse has some time on his hands at present and so is filling it doing things like sorting out old photos, going to stamp exhibitions and tying knots. The knot pictured on the left is a bumble bee knot!

I've just re-read Josephine Tey's Miss Pym Disposes. A great piece of writing. A contemporary author has written some detective novels using Josephine Tey as a character. I've read two of the series and having re-read The Singing Sands and Miss Pym Disposes, I don't think I'll bother with the rest of those intended tributes. Anyway, the honey reference in Miss Pym Disposes is contained in a description of Miss Desterro, a Brazilian student at the fictional Leys College. She is slim and graceful, everything about her is "smooth and fluid: her voice, her drawling speech, her body, her movements, her dark hair, her honey-brown eyes." She is an important figure in the story as she gives an outsider's perspective of the main characters.

That's it for this weekend. Until next time ...

Minnie

By the way, did you get the reference in the title of this week's blog? Don't freak out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave