Skip to main content

150 Soups

Puy Lentil Soup

I am very pleased with myself. It's three years since I started this blog and I have made 150 soups from the 200 recipes in The Soup Book. The latest recipe is by Marie-Pierre Moine. I made it on Monday (3rd December) with the assistance of the spouse. While I was on my way home from work he chopped the onion and crushed the garlic. When I arrived home I took over, rinsing and draining the lentils and gathering the herbs. The other ingredients included gammon steaks, thyme (from the garden, of course) and fresh parsley. I can't remember when I last ate gammon and I wondered if it was still available. Obviously it is!

So I fried the onion and garlic, then stirred in the lentils. I have to admit I couldn't find canned puy lentils so I used green lentils. Having seasoned this mixture I lay one of the two gammon steaks on top of the lentils and added the herbs. A covering of water and I was ready to leave the pot simmering. About twenty minutes later I removed the gammon and chopped it up. I took out the herbs and a couple of ladlefuls of the soup, then liquidised the rest of the mixture.

This done, I returned the liquidised mixture and the reserved soup to the pan for re-heating. I fried the second gammon steak and cut it into small chunks when it was cooked. Finally, I ladled out the soup in to warmed bowls, added the chopped gammon, and sprinkled it with parsley and grated lemon rind.

The younger offspring had arrived home from school while the soup was still cooking. "What's for dinner?" he asked. I told him and had to explain what gammon is. A fan of ham, he was delighted. The three of us sat down for our dinner and we were all very impressed. I would make this again, but I might use ham stock to boost the flavour. A real winter warmer.

Bee is for Book

For my next book group meeting I have read Alison Moore's The Lighthouse. An interesting book, poignant and irritating at the same time. I felt sympathetic towards Futh (the main protagonist) but frustrated by him at the same time. Of course, there is a bee metaphor. In one scene from his youth, Futh and his future wife Angela are in a pub when a man darts in, glares at Futh and Angela, and makes a beeline for a woman sitting on the other side of the room. In a scene near the end of the novel, Futh enters the bar of a hotel and makes a beeline for one of the two members of staff. I wonder if the author deliberately repeated the use of this metaphor.

Moving on, as we gear ourselves up for the festive season I'm not sure how much time I will have for soup-making. I may take a rest from it or else write about other recipes from different cookery books. I am a woman of mystery!

Minnie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave