Skip to main content

In for a penny

"Penny" Soup

Today I made my first The Soup Book soup in 2014 - it's also the 169th soup from that book that I've made.

Ingredients: a leek, potatoes, carrots, small sweet potatoes, vegetable stock and parsley (from the garden, even though it's January).
Preparation: basically, slice the vegetables into thin rounds.
Cooking: sweat the vegetables, pour in the stock, simmer until all the vegetables tender; liquidise some of the vegetables with a little of the liquid.
To serve: stir in the parsley, pour the soup into the bowls and make a little stack of sliced vegetables in the centre.



The bliss of a day off on a weekday! I woke up thinking it was my usual wake-up time: "Oh no! I'm awake! I'll never get back to sleep." Then I discovered it was 8 o'clock, not 6 o'clock. I began the day in a good mood.

My friend Bella was coming for lunch and I was pleased to have a new soup taster. I had the soup ready in good time for her arrival. All I had to do when Bella stepped into the kitchen was to reheat the soup, add chopped parsley and season. The bowls were warmed and ready.

I dished up and we tasted. It was delicious for such a simple soup. Liquidising the sample and pouring this back into the main soup gave it a lovely velvety texture. Definitely to be made again.


For our pudding I had made a carrot cake from a recipe the Riverford Farm Cookbook. I must have had my "five a day" by now.

Book Buzz

I am currently reading An Ice-Cream War by William Boyd. A friend lent me her copy on learning that my Anglo-Indian grandfather served in the Indian Army in East Africa during the First World War. This novel even mentions a regiment from Madras (now Chennai) where my father's family were from.

There is a scene in the novel that takes place after one of the protagonists (Gabriel) has just landed with his company of Indian soldiers on the German East African coast. Once they have received orders to advance on Tanga, a number of companies set off through the bush. After a couple of hours Gabriel stops to assess the situation. He sets off again.

Suddenly to his utter astonishment the air was 'thick with bullets'. ... He felt a sudden burning pain in his neck. He was hit! ... He stumbled, but ran on, clapping a hand to his wound to staunch the blood, bullets buzzing and darting past. But wait, ... they weren't bullets, they were bees! He stopped and turned round. His men were leaping about or writhing on the ground ... as the swarming myriads of bees attacked. ... The atmosphere shimmered and danced with the irate black objects. With dismay he saw the demoralised remnants of his troops pick themselves up and run hell for leather back to the maize field. Gabriel inflated his lungs and blew ... on his whistle, in a attempt to check the rout, but they were gone, pursued by the furious bees. 
So there you have it. More soup soon, I hope.

Minnie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave