Skip to main content

Easter Exploits

Nearly Nettled

Yes, it has been a long time since I last blogged. No, I didn't make any soups in that time but I was on the verge of making soup at Easter. The younger offspring and I were in Norfolk as guests of the sibling J-Zo and sibling-in-law G-Cro. They have a large garden that provides them with apples, rhubarb, figs, herbs and other vegetation, despite the only sporadic attention they give it. The main crop that I could have used was nettles! I offered to harvest and cook; I even found recipes on the internet. I was quizzed by my various relations and in-laws. All I could say was that I made nettle soup last year and it was tasty enough. I could sense their reluctance. I didn't make nettle soup but I did bake: rhubarb crumble, gooseberry tart, and asparagus and cheese flan.

I have eaten soup in the intervening weeks since my last blog. While in Norwich J-Zo and I ate a delicious red pepper soup in a quaint cafe. Yesterday I ate a really good carrot and mint soup in the more mundane setting of an office cafeteria in Naas. But you don't want to know about my dining out experiences.

Egg-Citing? No!

I made egg and onion soup today using Rose Elliot's Not Just a Load of Old Lentils. Ingredients: onion, butter, milk, flour, bay leaf, powdered mace, and chopped hard-boiled eggs. Garnish: chopped parsley. Method: saute the chopped onions, stir in flour, then add the milk mixed with water. Simmer with the bay leaf, before seasoning with salt and pepper and mace. Add the eggs and serve with garnish.

The spouse, younger offspring and I had a bowlful each. It was thick with onions but quite bland. Interesting. The spouse said he wouldn't be rushing to ask for it again. And I wouldn't be rushing to make it again.The younger offspring said nothing. Silence can say so much.

The Lion Worth Not Sleeping For Tonight

My book group is reading Rian Malan's The Lion Sleeps Tonight which is a selection of the author's journal articles about South Africa. I am not a politically curious person generally and know very little about South Africa, but I am enjoying this book and hope to finish it before the group's next meeting.

The story about Tannie Katrien, The Last Afrikaner, recounts the struggle of a tough old white woman struggling to make a living with her mixed race children:
In a good year, [she] and her sons earn about $100 between them, selling beans, oranges, and honey. Of this, $70 goes to keep just one grandson in high school.
The article that gives its name to the book tells the story of the man who composed (if that's the right word) what we in the west know as The Lion Sleeps Tonight but didn't make any money from it, despite the fact that it was recorded and covered by so many singers.

It was 1939, and [Solomon Linda] was standing in front of a microphone in the only recording studio in black Africa when it happened. .. He just opened his mouth and out it came, a haunting skein of fifteen notes that flowed down the wires and into a trembling stylus that cut tiny grooves into a spinning block of beeswax, ...
And here it is - Mbube.

Enjoy.

Until next time ...

Minnie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave