Skip to main content

Cotriade, Chorizo and other Foolishness



Cotriade
From my "make again" list

Last Saturday I made cotriade again. I first followed this recipe by Marie-Pierre Moine in July 2011 and put it on my list of soups to make again. I went about it in a labour- and time-saving way, buying frozen pieces of cod and haddock rather than fresh fish, and using fish stock cubes. The spouse and I enjoyed the soup, but the younger offspring struggled to get through his portion. He eventually admitted he didn't really like fish, only shellfish. I can understand that.


Cherry tomatoes ready for roasting

Today I made Eric Treuille's sausage and bean soup for the second time (see 10th October 2010). The weather wasn't really suited to a spicy soup, but I went ahead anyway, only to be told by the younger offspring that he was going to his friend G-Banger's house when there was only twenty minutes' cooking time left. Grumpy face.

Well, let him go off to the cinema with his friend. All the more for the spouse and me. And it was delicious! But I will note that it's a winter soup.

Sausage and bean soup
Gooseberry fool

I recently said to the spouse that we don't see gooseberries very often these days. We once had access to that fruit in the garden of a house we lived in thirty years ago. We didn't appreciate the benefits of having fruit on your own doorstep in those days. Earlier this year the younger offspring and I were staying with one of my siblings who has access to plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. She had lots of frozen gooseberries from last year's harvest, so I made plenty of gooseberry crumble and tart for her.

When I spotted gooseberries in the supermarket yesterday, I thought, "I'll have them!" When I got home I rooted through a few of the old cookery books for a fool recipe. Good old Delia Smith! You can find her gooseberry yoghurt fool recipe here.
Gooseberry yoghurt fool

Labor omnia vincit

You may have noticed that I changed the picture on the website. The new picture was taken in Stein am Rhein, Switzerland, while I was on holiday last month. When I searched for source of the phrase labor omnia vincit, I found it was from Virgil's Georgics.



Bee reading 

Over the last few weeks I have been reading Irene Nemirovsky's Suite Francaise. A former colleague recommended it a few years ago and when I saw it for sale at a bargain price, I couldn't resist. I had to persevere before I came to enjoy it and having read Helen Dunmore's review (at the link above) I understand why. It's modelled on Tolstoy's War and Peace. I haven't read the latter, by the way, but I did read Anna Karenina as a teenager.

There's an abundance of references to bees. I have chosen a few:
Pt 1, Ch 23 ... Monsieur Pericand-Maltete moved back in time to recall the life he had been given on this earth: ... Jeanne [his wife] thirty-five years earlier, just after their wedding, when some bees had come in through the open window and were gathering pollen from the lilies in her bridal bouquet and the garland of orange blossom thrown at the foot of the bed. Jeanne had rushed into his arms, laughing, so he could protect her ...
Pt 1, Ch 25  It was the time of year when all the roses were in bloom, so above every doorway beautiful flowers opened their petals, generously, happily, inviting the wasps and bumblebees to drink from deep inside their hearts
Pt 1, Ch 30  The heat had withered the daisies and the white carnations bordering the kitchen garden, but around the well the rose bushes were in full bloom; a scent of sugar, musk and honey wafted up from the clusters of small red roses next to the beehives.
Pt 2, Ch 9  Lucile began to embroider, but soon set down her work. The cherry blossom above her head was attracting wasps and bees; they were coming and going, darting about, diving into the centre of the flowers and drinking greedily, heads down and bodies trembling with a sort of spasmodic delight, while a great golden bumblebee, seemingly mocking these agile workers, swayed in the soft breeze as if on a hammock, barely moving and filling the air with its peaceful golden hum. 
Pt 2, Ch 12  A German officer (Bruno) says to Lucile: "Ah! Madame, this is the principal problem of our times: what is more important, the individual or society? ... We Germans believe in the communal spirit - the spirit one finds among bees, the spirit of the hive ..."
Pt 2, Ch 17  Sometimes [Lucile] even frightened and surprised herself at feeling such rebellion in her heart - against her husband, her mother-in-law, public opinion, this 'spirit of the hive' Bruno talked about. That evil grumbling swarm serving some unknown end. 
And that's it!

Until next time.

Minnie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave