Skip to main content

A Flurry of Flapjacks

Since my last post I have made another soup and done a fair amount of baking. The soup recipe was from The Guardian Feast (2 November 2019) and was a hit in this house. Pasta soup with potato and sausage, cheese, leek - what's not to like? 

On the baking front I've made a marmalade ring and date and walnut biscuits (both recipes from Doreen's Country Fare), an apple pie (guided by my M&S cookery book published in 1980), and two types of flapjack (both recipes in my Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Baking). 

I do like flapjacks and am always very interested in other people's produce. My earliest memories of flapjacks date from my mid-teens when I was still living in England. Butter, brown sugar, oats and golden syrup. How can you go wrong? 

The ones I made last Thursday were for different purposes: ginger flapjacks for the younger offspring's associates and orange flapjacks for the office; and some spares for my nextdoor neighbour. (Spouse and offspring, I don't begrudge your tasting sessions!) I particularly liked the orange flapjacks. These involved paring strips of orange rind and putting these in with the sugar and butter as they melted. The final touches required heating marmalade with some water, then spreading the syrup over the cooled flapjacks. Oh Lady Marmalade Flapjacks, je veux me coucher avec toi et une tasse de thé!

Orange flapjacks coated with marmalade

Following a quick review of my cookery books for flapjack recipes, I found seven other recipes (apart from the two in Step-by-Step Baking). They're all similar but have their own variations. Martha Day lists dark brown sugar, while the Big Book of Chocolate includes cocoa (I can't say I'm tempted by that); Doreen uses black treacle; Mary Norwak uses honey in one recipe and coconut and cornflakes in another; and M&S uses coconut too. The most interesting recipe (Bridget Jones' Comfort Food) lists apple sauce, dried apricots, raisins, various seeds, self-raising wholemeal flour and coconut: fascinating, but is this really a flapjack recipe? 

Music for December

It's too soon to mention the C-word so let's listen to Jonie Mitchell singing Winter Lady

That's it for now. 

Minnie


Comments

  1. I know you love baking Minnie. And I know that it's not just the finished product that you like. It's the whole process, from looking through the recipe books, to choosing what to bake, to gathering the ingredients, to the mixing, the pouring, putting the batter in the oven, the smells, the satisfaction of the finished product on a cooling tray, the decoration and the first cut and taste. You are so good at it and I enjoy your enjoyment. Of course, I also enjoy the baked goods. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that. I'm glad you enjoy the end product and appreciate the process. xxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave