Skip to main content

Moroccan Roasted Sweet Potato Soup

Well, I'm back making soup from The Soup Book. Today's recipe was for Moroccan roasted sweet potato soup. The ingredients include sweet potatoes, shallots, garlic, carrot, honey and harissa. Later on I'll be adding yoghurt and lemon juice and serving it with pitta bread. I started it off just after 11 o'clock this morning while my cleaner was here. She hadn't seen sweet potatoes before so I told her what little I thought I knew about them, that they were also called yams and originated in Central America. On checking with Wikipedia just now (yes, I know it's not a totally reliable source) I find I was wrong, that there is a difference between yams (Dioscorea batatas) and sweet potatoes (Ipomoea batatas), the former originating in Africa and Asia, the latter orange-fleshed variety in South America. Apparently they're not even related.

Back to the soup. I had to prepare the vegetable, mix the harissa with olive oil, then having coated the vegetables with the spicy mix, roast them for 40 minutes. They smelt delicious. When cooked, I added the honey and vegetable stock (commercial cubes again) before giving them a whizz in the food processor. At that stage the soup tasted very promising, even though I got that slightly cloying taste of sweet potato that can be a little off-putting. This will dinner for myself and the off-spring tonight - the spouse will be elsewhere.

Minor Celeb Spot

It's two weeks since I saw RTE's Anne Cassin at Dublin airport. Yesterday afternoon, en route to collect the younger off-spring, I drove by the national broadcaster's Anne Doyle on Belgrave Square, Rathmines. I saw her a few years ago in the Swan Centre!

Hitler and the 30kph Speed Limit in Dublin

I saw this link today in the Irish Times weekend magazine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWCLlMzX-dA. It involves that much parodied scene from the film Downfall. In this version Hitler is told about the 30kph speed limit in the city centre. One of the better parodies, but still doesn't top the one about when he learns Michael Jackson is dead.

What about bees?

Of course I'm going to mention bees! There's a little honey in today's soup! A book that has caught my eye recently is A World without Bees by Alison Benjamin and Brian McCallum. It seems to accord with the documentary Colony and other books - that the number of bees is declining alarmingly and that there will be dire consequences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention