Skip to main content

The Soups of Others

For anyone on tenterhooks about which soup I have made this weekend, let me end your suspense. I haven't made soup, but this is the May bank holiday and tomorrow is another day off, so there's a still a chance.

Three of us headed off to the west of Ireland with no definite plan in mind, just that we would visit the Famine Museum at Strokestown Park, Co Roscommon (www.strokestownpark.ie).We arrived there at 2pm and decided to have lunch. The menu included "home made soup" and I checked verbally that it was home made. The spouse and I both ordered it and had to wait a while for it to be served. On tasting it, it was full of ground pepper and not of the freshly milled type, more the commercially produced variety. I suspect the soup was made up of the leftover vegetables cooked for the lunchtime menu and with the pepper added for flavour! It put me in mind of a scene in Alice in Wonderland (Chapter VI - Pig and Pepper):
"`There's certainly too much pepper in that soup!' Alice said to herself, as well as she could for sneezing."
Another unappealing feature was the addition of croutons that were toasted on one side only, with the result that the uncooked sides became saturated by the soup, causing the croutons to sink to the bottom of the bowl. Very disappointing.


We visited the garden and the museum. This photo is of one of the many bees buzzing around what I think was a berberis (see photograph and please correct me if I'm mistaken). It was difficult to take a decent shot as the bees moved surprisingly quickly around the plants. Anyway, our overall impression of the garden and museum was that not quite enough money has been put into either. The famine display in the museum captures man's ongoing inhumanity to man, the abuse of power and the struggle to survive.

Little did we know that the Strokestown International Poetry Festival was taking place the same weekend (www.strokestownpoetry.org). We strolled up along to look at the main entrance to the house and the spouse recognised a poet who hit the headlines in 2008 for reasons not connected specifically with his poetry.

From Strokestown we travelled on to Westport, Co Mayo. We hadn't booked accommodation and the town itself looked busy so we headed on to the quay area. We dropped into the Towers Bar for refreshment (www.goireland.com/mayo/pubs-in-westport-page1.htm), looked at the menu and decided that we'd book a table for dinner. Then we had to find a place to stay for the night. That done, we headed back to the Towers for dinner.

In my blog of 13th February I wrote about how I always try seafood chowder if I see it on the menu anywhere. I cannot praise the seafood chowder at the Towers highly enough. It was delicious. There were prawns, mussels, some sort of white fish, potato, leeks and lashings of cream in it. Mmmm!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave