Skip to main content

Cream of Vegetable Soup

Cream of Vegetable Soup

The recipe for this soup is by Roopa Gulati and features in the winter vegetable section of The Soup Book. So far I have made only seven of the forty-five soups in this section and thought I'd better get a move on. The older offspring, with his predilection for meaty soups, will survive.

Still in thrift mode, I used the older vegetables from the fridge to make vegetable stock based on the book's recipe. This stock recipe is a good way to use up leeks, carrots, celery, onions, button mushrooms, potatoes and tomatoes; the herbs of choice are parsley, bay leaves and thyme. I used this stock in today's soup, the other ingredients of which are carrots, leek, parsnips, onion, turnip, celery, potato, thyme, bay, nutmeg, cream and milk. Parsnips are not among my favourite vegetables, but the dominant taste of the finished product was swede turnip (in Ireland turnips are swedes - UK publishers, take note!). The four of us liked it and there is plenty left over. Unfortunately, the addition of milk and cream makes it unsuitable for freezing, so I'll chill it and bring some into work on Monday.

On the subject of bringing soup to work, last month I brought the remains of the Henningsvaer fish soup into the office. While driving there, the lid of the container came off when I took a corner too quickly. The soup spilled and my car stank! It's all right now.)

What's the buzz? 

  • The spouse sent me this link to a cartoon story called The Queen Commands - quite amusing. 
  • At this year's BT Young Scientist and Technology Exhibition third prize in the Intermediate (Individual) category went to a project on queen bees: Do they stop laying broods during the winter?
  • There is cocktail called the Bees Knees! It has gin it and I don't drink gin.
  • There is such a thing as honey bun cake. I tried to find a straightforward recipe for it, but anything I found involved using a "packet of yellow cake mix". I don't know what that is. Help!
  • Celebrity spot. During the week, I was out with the colleagues for dinner. After our meal we went to a well known southside pub, where one of the girls ("Janey" - not her real name) spotted an opposition party leader. I had seen the same man at Heathrow Airport a few years ago and his hair was a different shade of blonde then. Anyway,  I headed off to catch the bus home and received a multimedia text message from Janey: a photograph of herself cheek to cheek with the said politician. Cheeky girl!

Comments

  1. Sounds like a nice soup Christine. But! "In Ireland turnips are swedes".....shome mishtake surely? The term "swede" is only occasionally used in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave