Skip to main content

Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse

Sophie Grigson's introduction to this recipe in The Soup Book describes bouillabaisse as "nothing more than a humble fisherman's soup using the remains of the day's catch [that] has evolved into one of the great Provencal dishes." For the mix of fish she suggests gurnard, John Dory, monkfish, red mullet, prawns and mussels. The spouse took the list up to Fergal (his favourite fishmonger  - by the way, that link will bring you to a radio item about the fish shop) and bought monkfish, John Dory, hake, salmon, tuna, crevettes and mussels. Not a cheap selection but only for the fishmonger's advice it would have been almost twice as expensive. I first mentioned this fishmonger in my blog on 16th August 2010 because he gave me a bag of samphire free of charge to try. Today he boned the fish. If I'd thought about it, I should have asked the spouse to bring the bones home so that I could make my own fish stock. The Soup Book advises soup-makers to ask fishmongers for bones when getting fish filleted and to check if they have any extra they can give you. Apparently, fish bones can be frozen for up to two months, but wrap them well.

The other ingredients of the bouillabaisse include onion, leeks, fennel, garlic, tomatoes, dry white wine, saffron, orange zest, bouquet garni and anise-flavoured liqueur (pastis). The finished soup is poured over croutes that have been spread with rouille. I first made rouille in July 2010 as an accompaniment to soupe de poissons and it was really delicious.  I'm delighted to have made it again even though my fingers taste of chilli!

The four of us had the bouillabaisse for our dinner. The recipe stated that there would be enough for four, but we reckoned you could have fed eight! The older offspring looked into the big dekshee before I dished up. "Yes," he declared, "I'll be eating lots of bowls of that." In accordance with the recipe I spread rouille on the croutes and placed them in the bowls before ladling on the soup. Then we tucked into what was perhaps the best soup so far. The epithets were "awesome", "epic", "gorgeous." The older offspring must be rehearsing his lines somewhere. He suggested that the bouillabaisse justified higher species of animal eating several different lower species out of a bowl.

Bouillabaisse in my big dekshee.

Bouillabaisse in a bowl.
Croutes spread with rouille await the bouillabaisse.



Bee Brief 

Earlier this week I read "Wait for Me!" by Deborah Devonshire, who was the youngest of the famous or infamous Mitford sisters. When in my twenties I came across "The Pursuit of Love" by eldest sister Nancy. I was hooked and went on to read the other three books in what I think of as the Hon Frances Logan series. Impatiently I sought out Uncle Matthew's blunt way of speaking to people he found tiresome and pored over the fleeting references to Linda Radlett's youngest sisters. I have re-read them several times and they remain on my bookshelves, their spines grazed and creased. The books written before the Hon Frances Logan quartet were not as subtle or amusing and it didn't cost me a thought to part with them. Inexplicably I wanted to know more about Nancy and her family. I have read various biographies, some focusing solely on Nancy, some on the six sisters. Nancy, Diana and Jessica have emerged as the most interesting, so I hesitated before buying "Wait for Me!" I mention it only because of the references to honey and bees in Chapter 2:

[My father] also had a horror of anything sticky. I once asked him what his idea of hell was. 'Honey on my bowler hat,' was the answer. His all-seeing eyes spotted a spill anyhere on the long dining-room table. Honey, jam and marmalade were all high-risk, but the sight of Golden Syrup in its wonderful green and gold tin made him particularly nervous [...]. What a mercy that no modernizer at Tate & Lyle has tampered with the design of the Golden Syrup tin, with its picture of bees buzzing round a dead lion and the line from the Bible, 'Out of the strong came forth sweetness'.


A few items and their links are listed below:

A right royal protein;Why the hay fever drugs don't always work (Irish Times, 28th April 2011)
What's gone wrong with the flight of the bumblebee (Irish Times, 30th April 2011)
Hive-Mind (a blog about beekeeping in the USA)

Easter Bee

Comments

  1. Great article, great soup. And above all, great radio link....long may the fishmonger's in Rathfarnam prosper. Great to see people doing what they love doing for a living...everybody benefits!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave