Skip to main content

One Week, Two Soups


Since my last blog entry I have made two soups from The Soup Book: smoked cauliflower cheese and black-eyed bean. The former was a mid-week dinner; the latter our weekend dinner. 

Smoked Cauliflower Cheese Soup

The spouse was going to make cauliflower cheese (love it) but I proposed Sophie Grigson's recipe as an alternative. He screwed up his face and declined. Then he changed his mind. I thought mind-changing was my prerogative. Anyway, smoked cauliflower cheese soup calls for cauliflower, onion, a floury potato, garlic, a bouquet garni, butter, stock, smoked Cheddar and garnish. Sophie suggests cayenne pepper, chopped parsley or chives, croutons or soured cream to garnish. 

I sweated the vegetables, garlic and bouquet garni with the butter before adding the stock. When the cauliflower and potato were tender, I took out the bouquet garni and gave the mixture a whizz in the blender. Next I reheated the soup, jumping back from the bubbles that flew in all directions. This is when you put in your grated cheese. The spouse and younger offspring were out being sporty, so I tested the soup on my own. My garnish of choice (given that it was what was available) was cayenne pepper. I liked this soup and would advise anyone who likes strong flavours to stick with smoked Cheddar rather than unsmoked. I also recommend cayenne pepper – the soup needs it. When the Y-chromosomed ones returned they tucked in and enjoyed it too. 

Black-Eyed Bean Soup 

Unlike the smoked cauliflower cheese soup, Celia BrooksBrown’s black-eyed bean soup was a gala of colours. You need leeks, a red pepper, a yellow pepper, garlic, ginger, a small red chilli, cumin seeds, canned black-eyed beans, coconut milk, stock, fresh coriander and lime wedges (the last two are for garnishing). The spouse wasn’t able to find black-eyed beans so I headed down to Young Stephen’s. First, though, I met a friend for lunch in a nearby cafe where one of the staff bore a striking resemblance to Young Stephen. I asked him if he was related and he was. So when I went round to the green grocer’s I told Stephen I’d just met his brother. In typical sibling fashion Stephen listed off how his own attributes were superior to those of his brother. I commented that I hadn’t been conducting assessment tests on his brother so couldn’t confirm his (Stephen’s) statements. (By the way, Stephen is still trying out his own soups.) He had only one can of black-eyed beans (I needed two) so I bought some cannellini beans to make up the deficit. I also tried another local independent grocery store, but had no luck there either.

Back to my cooking. The leeks and peppers looked glorious in all their traffic light colours. While they were cooking I whizzed the garlic, grated ginger, chilli and cumin with water to make a smooth-ish paste. This was added to the pan. Next in were the beans, coconut milk, a little sugar and lots of black pepper. When it was ready, I dished it up and garnished with coriander and lime. As the younger offspring was out, it was up to the spouse and I to do the honours. A very tasty soup and one to make again. 

Colourful black-eyed bean soup
 What's the Buzz?

Continuing with my observations of bees and their produce in what I read, I came across another two references to honey in Girl with a Pearl Earring: “honeyed words” and “honeyed voice” are used in relation to van Ruijven’s (Vermeer’s patron) attempts to seduce Griet. 

In yesterday’s Irish Times Magazine, Roisin Ingle referred to Janis Ruksans’ interest in bees. Elsewhere in the same magazine Ross O’Carroll-Kelly mentions his mother “wrapping her big bee-stung lips around a vodka martini”! 

 
Bye for now!

Minnie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave