Skip to main content

A Sting in the Tale

Nettle Soup

I have hesitated to make nettle soup from The Soup Book but last weekend I decided to overcome my doubts. The spouse and I were having a leisurely, offspring-free day in town and I spotted bagged nettles on a vegetable stall in Meeting House Square. I checked with the stall-holders that they would have nettles again this weekend and determined to go back. The next day I was at a friend's and her husband was about to make nettle soup. My fate was sealed.

I had to bring the younger offspring into town this morning and once I had completed various other errands I made my way to Meeting House Square. I bought the nettles and some chard and spinach for my next soup-making stint.  Yesterday the younger offspring and I could have picked all the free nettles I could ever have wanted down by the local river, but I wondered if they'd been sprayed with anything or by any beast.

On arriving home from town this afternoon I put on my rubber gloves and washed the nettles, leeks, spring onions and potatoes. I was quite anxious about touching the nettles - later I was anxious about tasting the soup before I had pureed the mixture in case the nettles stung my mouth! Prep work completed, I wandered off to do something else. I started cooking at about five o'clock: spring onions, leeks and potatoes heated in olive oil; then in with the stock and the nettles. When the potatoes were tender I used the hand blender to puree the mixture, which looked very green.

I called the spouse and the younger offspring in as I ladled out the soup. A dollop of thick yoghurt and a sprinkling of pepper and we were in business. The spouse was now the hesitant one: he wouldn't put this nettle soup on the "make again" list. Much to my surprise, the offspring liked the soup. So did I - I think it was the velvety texture of the potatoes. Perhaps I'll make it again. I'm hesitating ...Or am I vacillating?

Bee is for Bric-a-Brac

Bees have been in the news here recently. Check out the stories at these links:




Not quite as recent is this story:  New bee name after Sheldon Cooper!

The spouse and I were listening (not attentively) to the radio the other evening when we heard a reference to a poem about bees! I think it's called Sweetness is for the Bees  by Dimitra Xidous.

I re-read The Throwback by Tom Sharpe. I first read it when I was twenty-one. The book was a twenty-first birthday present from my sister's boyfriend. I enjoyed it then and went on to read most of Sharpe's other books. Many years later I hesitate to endorse the anarchy and chauvinism of The Throwback but bees get a mention: "And all summer long the bees in the straw hives buzzed over the heather and young rabbits gambolled outside warrens."

Coming up

Not being able to buy chervil, I jumped at the opportunity to buy a chervil plant recently. I'll have to grow my own. I've also planted parsley. The slugs are in for a treat.


Growing my own chervil.
That's it for today.

Minnie


Comments

  1. HMMMM.....sounds good to me, C

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup looks great. I did a foraging course in Ballymaloe last April and have done a lot of foraging lately. Although it's probably a bit late I am going to give this soup a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. Here's a link to a HFW recipe for nettle soup - http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/mar/30/nettle-recipes-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave