Skip to main content

Over the land (and in the kitchen) is April

Over the land is April 

Coconut and pine nut cookies

Over the land is April,
Over my heart a rose;
Over the high, brown mountain
The sound of singing goes.

Thanks to Robert Louis Stevenson for the title of this entry.


April activity


This month I made Chetna Makan's coconut and pine nut cookies. Distracted by something, I left them in the oven a little too long. Even so, I quite liked them but I'm not sure that my tasting audience was hugely impressed.








Easter bark with Smarties
I haven't bought a copy of Good Housekeeping for a long time so I treated myself to the April 2017 issue. There were lots of tempting chocolate cake recipes but I opted for the fairly straightforward Easter bark recipe. I made two batches: one with the suggested chopped mini eggs, the other with chopped up Smarties. These were very much appreciated by my tasting audience.














Sometimes I have to remind myself of why I started writing this blog: to encourage myself to work through The Soup Book. Starting in December 2009 I worked my way through 170 of the 200 recipes. Nowadays I dip into the book occasionally. My most recent dip was into the fish recipe section. I made cotriade again (previously made in 2010 and 2014). When shopping for fish, the young man in the supermarket guessed I was going to make a fish soup and tried to persuade me to buy some pre-packed fish mix. I can't say I liked the look of the packs so I persuaded him to let me choose my own whole pieces of fish. The recipe in The Soup Book is quite simple but if anyone is interested in a more complex version here's a link to the French Country Food website recipe.

Scandinavian banana cake
My star bake this month was Bronte Aurell's Scandinavian banana cake. Absolutely luscious. Anyone who is scared of butter and sugar, look away now. 




















Spiced quails eggs


The May bank holiday weekend began in April. The spouse and I invited the mother-in-law and an old friend for supper. Himself having been rather unwell lately, I was in charge of the menu and the cooking. Flicking through some of our older cookery books, I chose to make spiced quails eggs (Jane Dupleix's Simple Food), Rick Stein's jambalaya (Fiona Beckett's Sausage and Mash) and Nigella Lawson's ginger passionfruit trifle (Nigella Express). What a celebrity line-up! 








Tracking down quails eggs proved tricky. I have often seen them on display in the butcher's shop we go to. Of course, when I wanted to buy some they weren't available. The spouse put in a query and the butcher kindly checked with another branch: no, none there either. It was also proving difficult to get hold of ginger wine for the trifle. A local off-licence didn't appear to understand what I was talking about. The spouse rang a few other off-licences and found a few suggestions for substitutions. Eventually I bought low-sugar ginger beer in good old M&S. I also found an abundance of quails eggs in a butcher's shop in Moore Street. 

Ginger passionfruit trifle
Spiced quails eggs are very simple to make: hard boil then chill the eggs; peel (the fiddly part); slice the rounded end off so that the eggs will sit up; dip in smoked paprika and top with a flake of sea salt. 

If you can find the recipe for the ginger passionfruit trifle (I found the US version on line. NB, pound cake = madeira cake and heavy cream = double cream), I would advise you to use more of the ginger wine (or ginger beer) than stated. For a less horrifyingly calorific version, I used half double cream and half low-fat creme fraiche. A very simple and impressive dessert. 

Over and out. 

Minnie




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave