Skip to main content

2019: Another year over ...

I was very busy last month as I prepared for Christmas. My cooking ventures included making three soups from The Soup Book: zuppa di verdure, Brussels sprout soup and kichidi, which I first made in January 2013, December 2010 and November 2011 respectively. I'm not sure what happened to the kichidi when I made it two days ago, but pouring out the water in which I simmered the lentils, rice and ginger was probably not a good idea. 

Jamie Oliver's Christmas rocky road

I spread the Christmas love by making Nigella's and Jamie Oliver's Christmas rocky road. Nigella uses amaretti biscuits, Brazil nuts and glace cherries while Jamie uses popcorn, coconut and stem ginger syrup. Cut and put into bags left over from the older offspring's wedding, both types of rocky road were well received as gifts. A large cake tin full of Nigella's was put to good use at my sister T's house over Christmas. 

Nigella's Christmas rocky road

One of my colleagues put in a request for a trifle for the office Christmas dinner. I obliged by making Nigella's boozy trifle from her book Christmas. Another treat for the office and a friend's brunch was a batch of Bronte Aurell's Nordic ginger and orange biscuits

Nordic ginger and orange biscuits

Last year I used about 100 recipes, including some old favourites: pecan toffee shortbread, chocolate Brazil nut cake for the spouse's birthday, banana gingerbread, fig and apple cake, Bronte Aurell's Scandinavian banana cake and lemon crusty bake, to name but a few. New favourites include walnut and halva cake (Ottolenghi), Felicity Cloake's simnel cake, lemon, olive oil and bay leaf cake (Ottolenghi again; I owe him so much as I won a prize for this cake in a local baking competition), princess fingers, salted coffee, pecan and lime rock road (Ottolenghi, with these recipes you are spoiling us!), and Levi Roots' ginger, rum and pecan brownies

Anise shortbread (Good Housekeeping, December 2019)

... A new one just begun 

This is the time of year when people reflect on what they've been doing, what's happened and what they'd like to do in the coming year. 2020 is the year in which the spouse and I will have milestone birthdays. His attitude can be summed up thus: there's no need to do anything special because you have a milestone birthday - why not do what you want when you want? People have been asking me what I'll be doing for the big birthday and I hadn't made up my mind. But I am coming around to the spouse's view. There'll be no big party like the one we had ten years ago, no special requests, no cramming in new ventures for the sake of a birthday. 

On the subject of endings and beginnings, I finished a book yesterday. The Assassin's Cloak (edited by Irene and Alan Taylor) had been on my bookshelf since 2007 and I hadn't read it. It's an anthology of "the world's greatest diarists", consisting of almost 700 pages of diary extracts, a few for each day of the year. At the beginning of 2019 I set myself the task of reading each day's extracts. Those that were particularly poignant were written by Jews and PoWs during World War II. I found Leo Tolstoy's and Samuel Pepys' selfishness quite repellent. There were very few amusing extracts, but I quite enjoyed those by Tommy Lascelles. 

I'll finish now with this extract from the diary of Adrian Mole (aged 13 and three quarters), New Year's Day, 1983: 

These are my New Year resolutions: 
1. I will revise for my 'O' levels at least two hours a night. 
2. I will stop using my mother's Buff-Puff to clean the bath. 
3. I will buy a suede brush for my coat. 
4. I will stop thinking erotic thoughts during school hours. 
5. I will oil my bike once a week. 
6. I will try to like Bert Baxter again. 
7. I will pay my library fines (88 pence) and rejoin the library. 
8. I will get my mother and father together again. 
9. I will cancel the Beano

Just as I have no specific plans for 2020 and the milestone birthday, neither do I have any new year's resolutions. 

All the best for 2020! 

Minnie


Comments

  1. You are a marvel. Thank you for all the tasty things you make. Your readers should know that you are also a skilful and energetic knitter and calligrapher. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You're pretty marvellous yourself.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave