Skip to main content

Onion and Garlic Soup

 Onion and Garlic Soup

 Regular readers will spot immediately that the spouse has done what he's good at and found the camera connector that I misplaced. Below is his photograph of yesterday's soup from the The Soup Book.  It was onion and garlic soup by Marie-Pierre Moine. The ingredients include a Spanish onion, a banana shallot, a small head of garlic, dry white wine, vegetable stock, milk, egg yolks, double cream and Dijon mustard.  Trying to avoid the onion fumes, I used a handheld blender to chop the onion and shallot together. These were then cooked until the water had evaporated.

Onion and garlic soup with croute
Meanwhile, I boiled the unpeeled garlic cloves until they were soft enough to squeeze the flesh from the skin. I added the wine, stock and milk to the onion mix before dealing with the garlic flesh. To this I added the egg yolks, mashed them together then spooned in the cream. This mixture was stirred into the onion mix, and finally in went the Dijon mustard.

Marie-Pierre suggests serving with croutes topped with grated Gruyere or Cheddar. I opted for olive bread croutes topped with Emmental. The spouse, younger offspring and I sat down to sup. I thought it was fine - not great, not bad. The spouse enjoyed it and would eat it again. As for the boy, ... I'm not sure.

P.S. If you're interested, I've uploaded the fish and fennel soup photos (see blog entry for 19th November 2011).

Bees and Books 

Last month when I was at the honey show, I picked up fliers for Apimondia (the international bee health symposium) and the Federation of Irish Beekeepers' Associations' annual beekeeping summer course. The theme of Apimondia in 2012 is "From Challenges to Solutions."

I have a couple of books on the go at present, one of which I have to finish by tomorrow night in time for my book group on Wednesday. The other is Skippy Dies by Paul Murray. Here are the bee references:

Every noise in the classroom is amplified: Jason Rycroft's syncopated pencil-tattoo, Neville Nelligan's snuffling nose, the escalating bee-like hummmmmm arising from Martin Anderson, ...
'Pleasant enough day out there,' Slattery remarks, as he does every morning it's not actually raining fire, and makes a beeline for the kettle.
So time is moving on and it's time for me to move on to other things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miso Soup with Tuna

Miso Soup with Tuna This weekend I made a soup from the soup and shellfish section of The Soup Book , mainly because I'm aware this is the section through which I have made least progress. Leafing through the fish soup recipes, miso soup with tuna was the first one I came across that I hadn't made (the last fish soup was the creamy scallop bisque in December 2012). I read through the ingredients listed by Carolyn Humphries : what is wakame ? where do I get it and dried shitake mushrooms and miso paste? Apart from those three items, it was easy enough to obtain a carrot, spring onions, ginger, fresh tuna and chives. The spouse made a detour from the usual shopping route to his f avourite fishmonger's shop  then went into town for dried wakame. So, at about 5.30pm yesterday evening, I set about making the soup. I made up chicken stock from a cube and left the shitake mushrooms and wakame soaking in cold water while I prepared the vegetables and diced the tuna. Next, I ...

Traditional Chicken Soup

Traditional Chicken Soup The weekend just gone was another busy one but for happy reasons. The younger offspring has just become a teenager. Fortunately there were no tantrums, no sulks, no studied indifference. The excitement was occasionally muted but for the most part he was unselfconscious in his enjoyment of the celebrations. I made him white chocolate brownies which are one of his favourite home bakes. The celebrations meant delaying the preparation of the soup. It was a two-staged recipe anyway which meant I could make stock in advance. We had lemon-roasted chicken for dinner yesterday so I saved the carcass to make stock for the soup. The ingredients for the stock were the chicken carcass ( Marie-Pierre Moine suggests this as an alternative to using a whole chicken), carrot, leek, garlic, dried mushrooms (which the spouse bought but which I forgot to put in the pot), celery, parsley and thyme. When I got home from work this evening I got stuck into making the soup. T...

Minted Pea and Ham Soup

Minted Pea and Ham Soup I didn't get a chance to make soup at the weekend. Sometimes life gets too complicated to make soup. Not to worry. I made some this evening. Although the recipe is by Roopa Gulati , no spice was used in its making. The ingredients include shallots, butter, potato, stock, peas, mint and cooked ham. When I arrived home from a busy day out, I had a cup of tea then got stuck in to making the soup. We had ham stock in the freezer (I'd left some out to thaw before going out this morning), and the spouse had cooked a piece of ham yesterday so I diced up the leftovers. The chopped shallots were softened in the butter, then the chopped potato was thrown into the pan. When this was tender I poured in the stock. While the stock was simmering I cooked the peas, adding mint for the last twenty seconds. When ready I added them to the stock then whizzed the lot in the blender. I reheated the soup and stirred in the diced ham. The younger offspring and I ate the so...