Skip to main content

Bigos

Bigos

Nestled in the Winter Vegetables section of The Soup Book is Marie-Pierre Moine's recipe for bigos, a meaty Polish stew rather than soup, according to many internet sources. I identified the recipe last weekend and thought it would be a substantial "soup" for sharing with others, but only sent out invitations yesterday afternoon. We had two guests to share our meal with and there was a substantial portion left over.

The ingredients include Savoy cabbage, sauerkraut, smoked bacon, smoked Polish sausage, duck breast (you can substitute venison), a red onion, garlic, brown mushrooms, smoked paprika, a bay leaf, juniper berries, marjoram, caraway seeds, red wine and beef stock. Getting all the ingredients together was the fiddliest part of a fiddly soup. The spouse might as well have gone to Poland when trying to find the smoked sausage and sauerkraut. Or so he said. I went out yesterday evening after the rugby match had started to buy a bottle of red wine and was distracted by the sight of two bottles of absinthe on the shelf behind the till. The assistant told me they had been discovered in the corner of the wholesaler's warehouse. With an alcohol level of 60%, I'm not sure that absinthe will become my tipple of choice.

I started making the bigos at about four o'clock. There was chopping and shredding (my food processor has really paid for itself in the last two years), there was draining and straining. Not having a big casserole, I had to use my larger dekshee. I cooked the shredded cabbage; I heated the sauerkraut; I reserved the liquid from both. Then I fried the bacon, the duck and the sausage. These were left to rest on kitchen paper while I fried the onion, garlic and mushrooms in the savoury grease from the meats. All the fried ingredients were put into the dekshee with the herbs, spice, wine and spice, and left to simmer for an hour. The final stage of cooking involved adding the cabbage, then the sauerkraut and most of the reserved liquid. At half past seven we were ready to dish up.

Our guests were the younger offspring's pal "Graham" ("G-Banger") and MH ("Millie H"). Everyone was complimentary about the bigos. What I found particularly flattering, however, was twelve-year-old Graham's interest in this blog (sorry, Millie!). Millie offered her positive comments, of course, but took me to task for the brevity of my more recent entries. What's a busy woman to do? Anyway, I really enjoyed the bigos. The ingredients list alone indicated that it would be a rich meal. The smells in the kitchen and the combination of meats and herbs confirmed my predictions.

Bee Links 

The spouse recently sent me this link to Christina Rosetti's poem What Does the Bee Do? 

And here's a notice about a bee-keeping event in the National Botanic Gardens on the 14th-15th April.

That's it for now.

Minnie

Comments

  1. Thanks for such an exceedingly good and exceedingly long entry this week Minnie:))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Miso Soup with Tuna

Miso Soup with Tuna This weekend I made a soup from the soup and shellfish section of The Soup Book , mainly because I'm aware this is the section through which I have made least progress. Leafing through the fish soup recipes, miso soup with tuna was the first one I came across that I hadn't made (the last fish soup was the creamy scallop bisque in December 2012). I read through the ingredients listed by Carolyn Humphries : what is wakame ? where do I get it and dried shitake mushrooms and miso paste? Apart from those three items, it was easy enough to obtain a carrot, spring onions, ginger, fresh tuna and chives. The spouse made a detour from the usual shopping route to his f avourite fishmonger's shop  then went into town for dried wakame. So, at about 5.30pm yesterday evening, I set about making the soup. I made up chicken stock from a cube and left the shitake mushrooms and wakame soaking in cold water while I prepared the vegetables and diced the tuna. Next, I ...

Traditional Chicken Soup

Traditional Chicken Soup The weekend just gone was another busy one but for happy reasons. The younger offspring has just become a teenager. Fortunately there were no tantrums, no sulks, no studied indifference. The excitement was occasionally muted but for the most part he was unselfconscious in his enjoyment of the celebrations. I made him white chocolate brownies which are one of his favourite home bakes. The celebrations meant delaying the preparation of the soup. It was a two-staged recipe anyway which meant I could make stock in advance. We had lemon-roasted chicken for dinner yesterday so I saved the carcass to make stock for the soup. The ingredients for the stock were the chicken carcass ( Marie-Pierre Moine suggests this as an alternative to using a whole chicken), carrot, leek, garlic, dried mushrooms (which the spouse bought but which I forgot to put in the pot), celery, parsley and thyme. When I got home from work this evening I got stuck into making the soup. T...

Minted Pea and Ham Soup

Minted Pea and Ham Soup I didn't get a chance to make soup at the weekend. Sometimes life gets too complicated to make soup. Not to worry. I made some this evening. Although the recipe is by Roopa Gulati , no spice was used in its making. The ingredients include shallots, butter, potato, stock, peas, mint and cooked ham. When I arrived home from a busy day out, I had a cup of tea then got stuck in to making the soup. We had ham stock in the freezer (I'd left some out to thaw before going out this morning), and the spouse had cooked a piece of ham yesterday so I diced up the leftovers. The chopped shallots were softened in the butter, then the chopped potato was thrown into the pan. When this was tender I poured in the stock. While the stock was simmering I cooked the peas, adding mint for the last twenty seconds. When ready I added them to the stock then whizzed the lot in the blender. I reheated the soup and stirred in the diced ham. The younger offspring and I ate the so...