Skip to main content

Minestrone Mash-Up

Winter Minestrone with Barley and Beans

This weekend I have something to prove, namely that this blog is regularly updated. The older offspring was lonely and sad in his temporary accommodation so the spouse and I phoned him. During our conversation he mentioned that my blog was more regular than my spouse's, which led to my decision to make soup sooner rather than later. I chose a book given to me by my brother-in-law "Tod" and his wife "Sal" a couple of years ago: the Riverford Farm Cook Book by Guy Watson and Jane Baxter. The spouse, younger offspring and I were staying with them and they had a glut of courgettes, which they had cooked using various methods. On leafing through the book I came across a recipe for chocolate and courgette cake. I baked it for them: you couldn't taste the courgette at all, smothered as it was by the cocoa. I digress. Back to the minestrone.

The recipe in the Riverford book lists leek, celery, carrots, turnips, garlic, dried oregano, tomatoes, canned beans (borlotti, haricot or cannellini), farro or barley, and cavolo nero or kale. The recipe in The Soup Book lists similar ingredients but fewer of them: no leek, no turnip, parsley instead of oregano, and pasta instead of farro or barley. A recipe in an old book The Gourmet's Guide to Italian Cooking by Sonia Allison and Ulrike Bielfeldt (1973) is probably closer to the Riverford book in that it includes cabbage among its ingredients. It also allows for turnip, marrow, aubergine, parsnip, swede, peas and green beans, depending on what's in season.

Minestrone in progress before the kale was added
Minestrone ready to eat
As you might expect, preparing all those vegetables takes time and effort. As the younger offspring had shown some interest in cooking earlier this week, I had planned to get him to help me with the peeling, slicing and chopping. It was not to be. The allure of friends and hanging out in a famous shopping centre proved too much for him to resist. The spouse stepped into the breach and did the heavy-duty prep work for me. All I had to do was remove the hard stalks from the kale and chop the leaves finely. I did this while the onion, leek, celery, carrot and turnip were sweating away in the dekshee. Thirty minutes later I added the garlic and oregano and left the lot for two more minutes. Next in were the tomatoes and beans, and the mixture was left simmering for another thirty minutes. The final stage involved the addition of the shredded kale. By this time there was very little liquid in the mixture and I wondered how I was going to fit all the kale in. Somehow I did and the final fifteen minutes of cooking reduced the bulk of the soup.

Then it was time to dish up. Much to my surprise the younger offspring was quite enthusiastic about the soup, kale notwithstanding. The three of us ate our very thick minestrone sprinkled with grated Parmesan and with sour-dough bread on the side. Verdict on the soup: very good, filling and substantial. Verdict on the Riverford recipe: interesting; fewer specific instructions and advice in comparison with The Soup Book (no timing or freezing guidelines).

End Bee

A couple of bee references cropped up during the week. I heard the song Bee's Wing by Richard Thompson for the first time. Interestingly, Thompson's website is called BeesWeb.
Finally, I was at meeting last Friday and the group leader used bees to illustrate communication and networking.

So, that's it for now. I hope the older offspring reads this and is comforted.

Minnie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave