Skip to main content

If you're still reading this blog ...

Eggs molee with vegetable biryani
If you're still reading this blog then you'll know that my posts have become quite infrequent compared to when I was still enthusiastically engaged in my soup-making project. That started about ten years ago. I was gung-ho to work my way through the 200 recipes. Still, 170 wasn't bad going. Yesterday I made curried parsnip soup, which I first made in May 2012. It was very tasty and well received by the spouse and younger offspring. 



So much has happened in the last ten years and even in the seven years since I first made the parsnip soup. The older offspring is now married. The younger offspring is at university. The spouse has become prodigiously creative in the last eighteen months and blogs prolifically about his accomplishments. I have dabbled in various things - poetry, calligraphy, comedy improv, knitting - but baking and cooking remain my favourite pastimes and creative outlets. So far this year I've tried about eighty different recipes, some new to me but from old favourite cookbooks in our kitchen, but some firm old favourites have also been in the mix. 

Since returning from our summer holiday in August I have been inspired firstly by Indian cookery: vegetable biryani from Madhur Jaffrey (Vegetarian Curry Easy) and egg molee (eggs in coconut masala) from Rick Stein (India).  Then there was broccoli and cheese flan adapted from a recipe in Norfolk's Own Cookbook, cheese and herb cobbler from Pamela Westland's High-Fibre Vegetarian Cookery (1983), and Hungarian chicken smitane, brewer's chicken and chicken and onion bake from Anne Mason's The Chicken Cookbook (1980). 



On the sweet front, I made coconut flapjacks from Mary Norwak's 500 Recipes: Breads, Cakes and Biscuits. I used to make these regularly at work over thirty years ago. 
Recipes from magazines included Levi Roots' ginger, pecan and rum brownies (wow!), Mary Berry's coffee and walnut traybake (Good Housekeeping, October 2009) and fig and apple cake (Good Housekeeping, September 2008). Other recipes that I've used before included Daim cookies and banana cake (both from Bronte Aurell's Fika and Hygge), uncooked cherry chocolate biscuit cake (Gill MacLennan's Chocolate) and banana muffins (Martha Day's Baking). 
Blueberry crumble muffins



Diverging from the old recipe theme, I made peanut butter and strawberry jam cornflake cookies from a recipe on the back of cornflake packet, peanut butter biscuits (Irish Times, October 2019), blueberry crumble muffins (Ottolenghi's The Cookbook), and nutty chocolate, rum and fig cake with chocolate rum frosting (Helen Donovan's The Big Book of Chocolate). I post photos of my produce on FB and people ask me who eats all this stuff? Well, the sweet things are always very well received at work and my nextdoor neighbour is always pleased when I leave a sample on his doorstep. 

I still look out for bee references when I'm reading. Here are some lines from A Gilded Lapse of Time by Gjertrud Schnackenberg: 


.../ I had broken
The reliquary of the bee, where she had sifted 
Her yellow powder through melismatic generations, 
Worlds, numberless lifetimes, seeking to finish 
Her combs, to mix a flower-dust paste and fix 
One drop to the blank mask of her catacomb, 
To the brink of a miniature chasm - we are meant 
To open a hive with reverence, but instead 
I had broken the hive apart, and worse, 
I had left the honeycomb dripping on the ground  
In the wood's heart, a profanity 
Of waste, and the bees whirled into my ears 
Their endless sequences, their burning rhymes 
I groped among for what I meant to say. 
(Supernatural Poems: Poems 1976-2000; extract in Staying Alive edited by Neil Astley). 



That's it for now. Until the next time. 

Minnie


Comments

  1. Always a pleasure to read about your kitchen exploits Minnie!
    Wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention