Skip to main content

Full on in February

What a month it's been! The spouse celebrated a milestone birthday and had surgery five days later. I've continued to bake at a frenetic pace in preparation for an event I'm hosting to mark International Women's Day. I wrote a poem about reading an anthology of diary extracts (The Assassin's Cloak, edited by Irene and Alan Taylor). I re-joined the gym (but haven't been exercising there). I completed two panels of a throw I'm knitting. Oh, what a busy woman I am. Just as well there was an extra day in the month. 

On the savoury front, I made:
a sausage, bacon and onion casserole using venison sausages from our local butcher (recipe from Fiona Beckett's Sausage and Mash). Delicious. 
toad in the hole using sausages with black pudding from the nearby German store (recipe from Bridget Jones' Complete Comfort Food). I love toad in the hole and the batter recipe was glorious! 
vegetable moussaka (also from Complete Comfort Food). Not bad. 
roast pesto chicken (recipe from Jane Dupleix's Simple Food). Tasty but for some reason I seem to get my timings wrong when roasting chickens. 
vegetable and lentil soup (recipe from Salma Hage's The Lebanese Kitchen). Not bad. 

Vegetable and lentil soup

Speaking of soups, I see that there's a new edition of The Soup Book (Sophie Grigson). It has a smart grey cover. I'm still fond of my first edition, battered , spattered and well-thumbed as it is.  

On a sweeter note, I have made the following: 

peanut butter and Snickers muffins (Nigella, How To Be A Domestic Goddess). I'd already made them in January so knew they'd be great! 
cherry marmalade muffins (Martha Day, Baking). The name is misleading: cherry and marmalade would be more accurate. Tasty nevertheless. 
cherry cake (Doreen Fulleylove, Country Fare). Nice. 

Cherry cake

nutty chocolate biscuit cake (Butlers Chocolate Cookbook). No baking involved. Made for my uncle's 65th birthday. 

Nutty chocolate biscuit cake

wholemeal scones (GH, Step-by-step Baking). Worthy but dull. 
chewy fruit flapjacks (Complete Comfort Food). Rendered floppy by the eggs. I wasn't too keen but my colleagues liked them. 

Wholemeal scones and chewy fruit flapjacks

in the freezer ahead of next month's event are pear and cardamom loaf, date and banana ripple load, rosemary cake and lime cake (all recipes from Step-by-step Baking, the only recipe book I have that tells me if I can freeze the cakes) 

Pear and cardamom load (L) and date and banana ripple loaf (R)

 ↝ refrigerator cake (Tom Hunt, The Guardian). The author of the recipe advises that you can use stale biscuits; I used some tired chocolate that has been hanging about since Christmas. 

Refrigerator cake

Honey-dipped words 

I spotted this book of poems (milk and honey, by Rupi Kaur) in my local book shop and have been promising to buy myself a copy. Here are some lines from one of the poems: 

how is it so easy for you
to be kind to people he asked 

milk and honey dripped 
from my lips as i answered

So, that's it for February 2020. 

Minnie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuscan Bean Soup

Tuscan Bean Soup This recipe calls for canned beans (borlotti, flageolet or cannellini) and as I have been tidying and cleaning out our cupboards I've used cannellini beans. I have to mention that the younger offspring has done an impressive job on the cupboards. That's enough about him. Back to me and my soup! Other ingredients include onion, carrots, leek, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree (I substituted sun-dried tomato paste as there was an open jar of it in the fridge), chicken stock (I had to use a cube as my home-made reserves have been used up) and spinach.When ready it's served with ciabatta bread, grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. So it's quite a rich soup. We've just had the Tuscan bean soup for lunch. All enjoyed it. The adult males were particularly forthcoming in their praise. The spouse liked the "tomato-ey sharpness" and mused that ham stock should be considered as an alternative to chicken stock. Bees' Cheese and other recipes H

Lovage Soup

Lovage Soup   Today I made lovage soup, the second recipe by Sophie Grigson in The Soup Book that I have used in the last four days. She introduces the recipe with these remarks: "If you don't grow this old-fashioned herb yourself, ask around among your gardening friends or head down to the nearest garden centre to see if they sell it. " As I mentioned in my last blog entry (18th May), lovage now features among the herbs in my front garden. As the spouse left the camera at home, I took some photographs. Parsley, sorrel and lovage in Minnie's garden. Rosemary, parsley and lovage in Minnie's garden.  I had hoped to add chervil to my collection of herbs - there's a recipe for vegetable and chervil soup in The Soup Book - but "Young Stephen" wasn't able to source any for me. At least he tried. Just while I'm mentioning Stephen, I have to reveal that the spouse and the older offspring claim that he has been mention

Mulligatawny Manoeuvres

Mulligatawny I see it's only been six months since I last made mulligatawny. The first time was back in May 2011 when I followed Roopa Gulati's recipe in The Soup Book ; last September I used The Essential Asian Cookbook . Today I used Rick Stein's India , a Christmas present from the spouse. It's one of those luxurious recipe books with thick paper and beautiful, vibrantly colourful photos. We had all been impressed by Roopa's recipe, less so by the second book, so how would we fare today? Well, those two recipes both involved apple. Rick's did not, so I felt that this must be a more authentic recipe. If Anglo-Indian cooking has any authenticity these days. Still, Rick states that his recipe is on the menu at the Madras Club in Chennai. It involves making a spice paste first and then the soup. Ingredients: The paste called for coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and fresh coriander, curry and mint leave